DIY: Queen of Hearts Halloween Costume | Duchess of Denver: DIY: Queen of Hearts Halloween Costume

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

DIY: Queen of Hearts Halloween Costume

Who doesn't love to get a little crafty? I've been dabbling in the crafted arts since I was a young Duchess and have been having fun ever since! I find that working with my hands not only keeps me busy, but helps clear my mind! This post is meant to show you some crafts I have tried and loved, and I hope you love them, too!

ARE YOU AS EXCITED FOR HALLOWEEN AS I AM?! I can't believe it's a few days away! I have been planning my costume since September so trust me, it couldn't have come faster.  Since I am now of legal age, I am able to not only dress up, but go to the bars and party it up! This is a huge step up from last year, when all my best friend and I did was eat at a Greek restaurant and see Insidious: Chapter 2. That being said. since we can all go out my friends and I decided that we would dress up in the same theme: Alice in Wonderland.  Because I consider myself royalty, of course I am the Queen of Hearts!

My favorite part of Halloween is not just buying a generic costume, but finding different pieces and making my own costume up! I knew right away how I wanted to put my Queen of Hearts costume together, with inspiration from this Pinterest post. First thing I bought for myself was a black and red corset.  Next on the list was black thigh-high stockings, black shorts, red shoes, a black tutu, and, of course, a crown (I got an amazing one from Spirit Halloween that matched my color scheme).  But, when I put my costume together, I thought it felt a little plain.  That's when I decided to get creative and make my costume even better!  I'll show you step-by-step what I did to make my Queen of Hearts costume something I could be proud of!

DIY Part I: Socks



What You'll Need:

  • A pair of black thigh-high socks
  • Red heart charms
  • Needle
  • Thread
These socks are just perfect aren't they? The black bow is the perfect spot to add the charms for a nice little pop of color. And those charms...how perfect are they? There is even a little crown on them so it's literally perfect for the Queen of Hearts! I found them at the craft store (on sale!) and was ecstatic because oddly enough, large red hearts are hard to find!

Step 1:

Obviously you are going to be sewing these charms on the socks, so first things first is to thread your needle with your string.  Since I'm at school, I don't have access to my actual sewing kit so gray thread had to do (but you can't even tell so it's okay). 


Step 2:

You guessed it, start sewing on the charms! This was very easy to do because these charms had a half-circle back that I could use as a way to really get the charm to stay on the bow but also dangle.  I went over and over it about 7 times to make sure it was tight.

Step 3:

Voila! You're done! Wasn't that so simple and easy? Unless you can't sew to save your life, this is a quick DIY that can make any costume quirkier! All you need is a pair of socks and a charm that matches your costume theme...that's it. WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT?!


DIY Part II: Tutu



What You'll Need:
  • A black tutu
  • Red glitter hearts (I found these in the crafts section)
  • Fabric glue (clear)

Step 1:

First things first, start by taking one heart at a time and laying it on the FIRST layer of the tutu. This is important because you do not want the glue to seep through the layers, cause it to bundle. Do this before gluing each heart so you know where you want to place it before applying the glue.



Step 2:

Now that you know where you want your heart to go, apply the glue to the back of it and carefully place on the tutu (remember, FIRST layer). Hold your hand under the layer so that the glue does not stick to anything else. Press down for 5 seconds, and then move on to the next heart.




Step 3: 

Apply Step 2 all around the tutu until all hearts are used.  When placing them, I tried to alternate putting it high or low on the fabric so that it looked even and more natural.  Also, try not to push the glue so that it flattens around the heart, because it will show (I made this mistake a few times oops). But once you have hearts all around your tutu, you're done!  Like I said with the socks, you can use any color scheme and theme to make this match your own costume. And it just looks so good!


All done!


And there you have it! Your DIY Queen of Hearts costume is all done! And how stinking cute does it look?! Just a few little extras can really pull a look together, and if anyone tells you different then OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! ;)



What are you being for Halloween this year? Any tips on a DIY costume?  Let me know in the comments below!


Until next time my loves x.


No comments:

Post a Comment