Cocktail of the Week! | Duchess of Denver: Cocktail of the Week!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Cocktail of the Week!

Being a cocktail connoisseur, I feel it's necessary that I share with you some of my favorite cocktails that I've either tried in bars or that I've concocted at home! As you can already tell I love to try new things and am always out there looking for my signature drink. Follow my cocktail of the week posts to discover these new drinks with me!

Like any young 20-something trying to make her mark in the world, I can admit to binge-watching Sex and the City and wishing I had the life of Carrie Bradshaw (that brownstone come ON). One of the first things I noticed while watching was that the girls always had a pink drink in their hands, and upon watching further episodes I was able to identify that drink with a name -- the Cosmopolitan. The drink is quite simple really: cranberry juice, triple sec, vodka, and lime.  No really...that's it. So if this drink was so easy, why was I constantly disappointed every time I ordered it?

My first drink of legal age was a Cosmo at this quriky bar on Market Street [insert picture of young Lexi with blonde hair and naive ambitions]. The drink was...meh. First of all, I wanted a mojito but the bar didn't have mint (???) and so the Carrie in me thought a Cosmo would be the perfect alternative. It really wasn't that special, but at least I got to wear the honor of having it be my first drink, yeah?

The next Cosmo disaster was for my friend's 21st. I took her out to the streets of Denver (where a mojito was her first drink...UGH) and we went into one of my favorite bars in Larimer Square. The bartender was all over us as soon as we walked in the door and said he could make us the best Cosmo we'd ever had...boy was he WRONG. That drink was literally just straight vodka -- I can still feel it burning my tongue. At this point, I figured my whole life was a lie and that Cosmos were an urban myth. I had lost all hope.

That is, until I found a little black book hiding in my desk drawer. The Skinny Cocktails book is the bible for all things low-cal alcoholic drinks. They had a recipe for a Cosmo and I thought, "now is the time." So I ran on over to the liquor store and picked up some essentials and got to work. But, I didn't have cranberry juice or a lime, so I had to substitute pineapple-pomegranate juice and lemon...it was AMAZING! Not too strong, the perfect amount of sweetness -- I finally realized this was how a Cosmo should taste.


Lexi's Cosmopolitan

1 oz vodka
1 oz triple sec
1 1/2 oz POM Hula juice
Juice of half a lemon

Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker with ice and shake well. Pour into a martini and garnish with a lemon wedge.



Any cocktails you love that you want me to try? What's your cocktail of the week? Let me know in the comments below!


Until next time my loves x.


No comments:

Post a Comment