Album Review: Made in the A.M. | Duchess of Denver: Album Review: Made in the A.M.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Album Review: Made in the A.M.

Okay, I'm a piece of shit. No matter how often I tell myself I need to get over this boyband they keep sucking me back in because One Direction is a blackhole. But let me be straight with you for a minute -- I'm in love with this album. Never did I ever think anything would top Take Me Home (the greatest pop album of the decade if you ask me) but these little assholes proved me wrong. It's almost like since the whole Zayn fiasco they have finally found their rhythm (tear). A lot of the songs are more low-key and slow than usual, but there are a few upbeat songs that satisfy my appetite. Overall I'm madly in love and need to find something better to waste my time with.

Warning: My fangirl might come out. Sorry in advance.

Made in the A.M. Album Review



1. Hey Angel -- Okay honestly this song makes 0 sense to me and I don't see the point in it. "Oh I wish I could be more like you" but why, Louis, are you saying you want to be dead? How uncouth. "Do you wish you could be more like me?" Well, yes, I'd assume an angel would want to be human again because then you get to be, I don't know, ALIVE. There's probably some deeper meaning to this song I'm not getting but to me it sounds like they want to communicate with the dead. Best part of the song is Liam in the bridge talking about backseats and noises and everything else that makes my breathing heavy. *heart eyes*

2. Drag Me Down -- This song is the "Best Song Ever" of the album; as in it's a good song but it doesn't really fit the feel of the album. Don't get me wrong because I still love it, it's just I'm not sure why it's on the album if that makes sense? "I got a fire for a heart" is a really good lyric and I like the whole theme "our love is so strong that nothing can bring it down." The music video is pretty rad as well cause they're at NASA or something and I just love space OKAY.

3. Perfect -- This song will always remind me of Paris because that's where I was when the single came out. Rumor has it this is Harry's "Taylor Swift Song" but who cares about that I mean stop being stuck in the past. Perfect speaks to me on a spiritual level because I indeed like "causing trouble up in hotel rooms", "having secret little rendezvous", and "doing all the things I know we shouldn't do." If you really listen to the song (I totally stole this from a Tumble post no lie) it's not about them being crazy young men, but the fact that being with them involves a not so normal life. They "[aren't] good at making promises" because they are constantly on the go and doing things that take a lot of time. Being in hotel rooms, going places you can't even pronounce -- that's their everyday life and it's something the person they are with needs to be okay with, i.e. "perfect." But that's sad so whatever have you seen the music video because HARRY!

4. Infinity -- I hate songs that make me cry but then I also love this song with all my heart. This song is about having your heart broken but not getting over the person -- something we can all relate to. "Everybody wants you" thanks, Liam, I agree so glad we're on the same level please tell that to all the boys I like so they get jealous. "How many nights do you wish someone would stay" COUNTLESS HARRY, OKAY, COUNTLESS! Infinity is the kind of song that would be in every Nicholas Sparks movie trailer and I am 1000% okay with that. Plus Harold hits those high notes and I feel tingly.

5. End of the Day -- "All I know at the end of the day is you want what you want and you say what you say" so poetic and intellectual wow. Sarcasm aside, I really like this song because the verses and chorus are on different beats and I don't know it just meshes really well. "You and I can stay awake and keep on dreaming" STOP LOUIS YOUR HIGH NOTES MAKE MY BODY NUMB. Then there's Harry high notes and this song is honestly too much for me someone take it away.

6. If I Could Fly -- I want this to be my wedding song. No lie this song makes me cry because it's so beautifully written. "For your eyes only, I show you my heart" I mean with a lyric like that how can you not want to bury your face in gelato and die. "Pay attention I hope that you listen" I am, Niall, I AM AND I AM NOT OKAY! "I'm missing half of me when we're apart" literally stab my chest how can they write something like this and expect me to go on living my life. Best part is when they each sing a line a cappella and you slowly see my face melt. And don't even get me started on Liam and Harry riffs.

7. Long Way Down -- Gonna admit this song isn't one of my favorites but I still like it. "We sailed an ocean and drowned in a wave" I don't know when these boys started writing such deep lyrics but it's killing me. I want to dedicate this song to the boy I loved Junior year because it was a helluva long way down when that ended. Also there's a lot of Liam in this song which is always ace.

8. Never Enough -- THIS MY JAM! Weird chanting and grunting as background noise? I'm into it. "Lips so good I forget my name" TATTOO THAT ON YOUR CHEST FOR ME NIALL! That is my favorite line of this whole song and I can't write in coherent words what it does to me. Niall or Liam or someone continually shouts "come on" which doesn't add on to my "lips so good" situation, neither does the screeching of "it's never" by one of those assholes. Never Enough is one of the more upbeat songs of the album and it's just amazing and please listen to it but remember I called dibs on 4/4 so bye.

9. Olivia -- "Diana" 2.0. Just as I felt with "Diana" on Midnight Memories, this song isn't a favorite but I will sing a long whenever it comes on shuffle. I like in the beginning how they chat about something and it reminds me of "Lovebug" by the Jonas Brothers HAHAHA. Harry's bridge singing "you live in my imagination" reminds me of that song in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when they're in the elevator. Don't ask why; it just does. Also Louis hits some good notes and I'm feeling it.

10. What A Feeling -- DISCO IS NOT DEAD PEOPLE! I read that 1D said this song was inspired by Fleetwood Mac and I can hear it. Perfect playlist: Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac, September by Earth Wind and Fire, What a Feeling, and then finish it off with Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars. TELL ME THAT DOESN'T AMAZING! "What a feeling to be a king beside you know" I'm happy they understand I'm a queen and this definitely boosts my ego. This song is just a real cool jam that you can put on while you're getting ready. And I want to see Louis with an afro.

11. Love You Goodbye -- A song about breakup sex...THANK YOU ONE DIRECTION! "Even though it's over you should stay tonight" oh should I, Harry, SHOULD I?! I will indeed "give it to you one last time" just putting that out there. Love You Goodbye is one of my top songs off the album because it's the power ballad I've been craving since "Moments." Then Niall goes and "my heart's already breaking baby go on twist the knife" LIKE STOP I'M SORRY! And Louis comes in again with another high note like he owns the damn place. This song is a 10/10 would have makeup sex with.

12. I Want to Write You a Song -- This song is so sweet I get a toothache. "Everything I need I get from you" really, Louis, you need to stop making me feel guilty for ignoring your last album like the black plague. IWTWYAS (nice acronym, Lexi) is a nice acoustic break on the album. It kind of ties the whole thing together if you ask me. Plus Niall is just so freaking cute I want to pinch his cheeks.

13. History -- "You gotta help me I'm losing my mind" well so am I Harold because this song is SO CATCHY AND WONDERFUL! The chorus reminds me of a concert in itself because it's just a choir of people singing and it's beautiful. Then Louis comes in with his bridge that forces me to shove my nails into my thighs, "mini bars, expensive cars, hotel rooms, and new tattoos..." etc etc KILL ME! Louis just really shines on this album and it makes my heart happy.

****BONUS TRACKS****


14. Temporary Fix -- A song about hookups? One Direction secretly likes to talk about sex without actually saying the word. That being said, this is hands down my favorite song off the album. It's like "Kiss You" and "No Control" had a baby. "You can call me when you feel like I'm your good time" cannot be more blatantly obvious about late night bootycalls. BEST PART is Louis in the bridge with "let me touch you where your heart is" I KNOW WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN LOUIS AND I'M CRAZY ABOUT IT. Temporary Fix has a sick beat and dirty lyrics and it's just everything so listen to it.

15. Walking in the Wind -- Not really a fan. It's almost Bob Dylan-esque in the verses and then the chorus is very The Fray-like. I honestly really like the chorus but as a whole the song does nothing for me. That's one thing that's nice about this album -- even songs I don't really like I still do because in some way they are catchy.

16. Wolves -- This song reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on it. Nonetheless I really like this song and I feel as though they wrote it about me seeing as how so many guys are after me (not). It's almost as if Little Red Riding Hood turned naughty and now all the wolves are after her and  poor 1D has to warn her. "Heading straight for your heart like a bullet in the dark" is très poetic and sort of gives the feel for the entire song.

17. A.M. -- Another top song off the album for me. This is the first song EVER where they swear and that makes my thighs burn. A.M. sounds like the kind of song you and your friends sing at the bonfire after graduation. It's very anthem-like and cool, "swimming round in our glasses/and talking out of our asses" is a line that speaks to the drunk college student who wants to reminisce. It's mellow but you can still comfortably sing along at the top of your lungs. As the final song on the Deluxe Version I think it brings the album to a perfect close -- the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment